Monday, April 18, 2011

Usually more, but never less

OK blog. Here we go. To whom this may concern:

There are moments when I feel so happy and content I swear I can feel my heart swell. Sounds cliche - but it's so true. For instance, this evening when my son, of his own free will, stops racing around the house, climbs in my lap, and snuggles against me. He tipped his head back and said 'mommy' and just smiled at me. Then he went limp noodle, slid down to the floor, hopped up, and said 'Elmo, Elmo, Elmo'. This is his polite request to watch Elmo's World. My sweet, sweet, almost two-year-old. At least he said my name BEFORE Elmo. High praise indeed.

I'm also enjoying listening to Sam, my almost two-year-old, narrate my daily life. It's kind of like low budget closed captioning - mostly nouns with the occasional verb thrown in to spice things up. Scene one, interior: 'Shoes' 'Milk' 'Mommy' 'Dibby' (the family dog Gibson) 'Elmo' 'Nanee' (banana) 'Brush teeth' 'Daddy.' Scene two, exterior: 'Birdie!' 'Sammie' (neighbor dog) 'Truck' 'Bus' 'Bicycle' 'Bunny' 'Leaf' 'Papa's truck' (UPS truck), 'Doggie' 'Airpane.'  I've never been more aware of every bus and truck we pass/see while driving. And he never gets tired of announcing a new sighting. Each and every truck or bus is named gleefully and without preference. On a particularly momentous outing to the grocery store we saw two school buses, a mail truck, a semi, and a public transit bus. He could barely contain himself. Oh, and the grocery store itself.....well let's just say he can identify A LOT of produce. My favorite, and maybe his too, would be the 'Cel-ree-ree.' : )

So I guess I should've said this first, as it really is most important: I am a wife and mother. Sam's mom and Ryan's wife. I'm usually more, but never less. I work from home twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Holidays, too. I worked as a nurse in my previous life. I've been married in my heart to my best friend for almost eleven years - legally for three and a half. And I absolutely consider my dog my first baby. All 100lbs of him.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is perfect!!!
    Wonderful 1st post........cant wait to read many-many more!!! Miss you and that sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete